At this critical time, in the wake of the 2017 disasters and concurrent with rebuilding efforts, the Coral Bay community and watershed need an updated comprehensive management plan that incorporates stakeholder input and includes a visioning effort that recognizes and highlights diverse viewpoints.
With an up-to-date plan, CBCC can continue its mission to protect the environment and support the community by:
- Applying for relevant grants and funding opportunities
- Completing low-impact and economic-growth planning activities
- Conducting and participating in scientific research for more informed decision-making
- Completing infrastructure improvement and resiliency projects
- Providing information, “best management practices”, and training programs to the community and stakeholders
- Developing creative and flexible solutions to water quality
CCBC is working with its contractor, Watershed Consulting Associates, LLC (WCA) to continue and expand the critical alliance among business leaders, residents, local government, and the scientific community regarding a renewed vision for a resilient future for the Coral Bay watershed.
Supported by the:
CBCC received a $99,000 WaterSMART grant from the US Dept. of Interior – Bureau of Reclamation (DOI–BR) and funds from the Dept. of Planning and Natural Resources – Coastal Zone Management (DPNR-CZM) through the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) that supports the completion of this project.
Over the next year and a half, CBCC and WCA will answer the following questions to move Coral Bay into the Future. (The timeline and watershed graphics by WCA).
The Community Kick-off Meeting June 2019
- What do you love about Coral Bay and living here?
- Where and what are some of the amazing treasures that we should protect?
- Where should we focus our funds and efforts?
WCA and CBCC received some great answers from the community about where and what projects we should work on over the next 5 years!
Contact us at Plan@CoralBayCommunityCouncil.org with your ideas!
Check out the St. John Source featured news article about this meeting and more about watershed management in the USVI.
This project will produce the following:
Coral Bay Watershed Management Plan – 2020
The technical updated watershed management plan that follows the EPA’s Watershed Planning guidelines with a focus on spatial and quantitative modeling of the watershed to identify priority areas for remediation.
Coral Bay Watershed Visioning Document – 2020
A user-friendly visioning document integrating stakeholder input that illustrates community goals and strategies to achieve them.
Coral Bay Watershed Management Story Map
A user-friendly online mapping platform through ESRI ArcGIS that summarizes the WMP and hosts map layers and geographic data to which the community and stakeholders can access for more informed decision–making and best management practices.